Asparagus and Pea Pasta with a Creamy Lemon Sauce
8 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta
1 3/4 cups asparagus (sliced in 1 1/2 inch pieces)
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1 T butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup fat free, low sodium vegetable broth
1 T cornstarch
1/3 cup half and half
3 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
Lemon slices for garnish
1. Cook pasta in boiling water. Add asparagus during the last minute of cooking time. Place peas in a colander. Drain pasta mixture over peas and set aside.
2. Melt butter In a large skillet over medium heat . Add garlic to skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Combine broth and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add broth mixture to skillet; bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in half and half, juice and seasonings.
4. Add pasta mixture to broth mixture; toss gently to coat.
5. Garnish with lemon slices.
Yield: 4 servings
Strawberry-Lemon Upside-Down Cake
2 tsp. butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sugar
2 T butter, softened
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place 2 tsp. melted butter in the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan; sprinkle with brown sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. lemon rind. Top with strawberries; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Beat sugar and 2T butter in a large bowl until well blended. Add egg, 2 tsp. lemon rind and vanilla; beat well.
5. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Spoon batter over strawberries.
7. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges of cake with a knife. Place a plate upside down on top of cake pan; invert onto plate.
Yield: 8 servings