2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups basil leaves
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
2. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days or portion into ice cubes trays and freeze. Frozen cubes
of pesto can then be transferred to a freezer bag or container and individual cubes can be thawed in the
refrigerator and used as needed.
Yield: about 1 cup (1 tablespoon per serving )
Nutrition Facts: Calories 43, Total Fat 4.1g (6% DV), Sat. Fat 0.8g (4% DV), Cholest. 2.2mg (1% DV), Sodium 75.1mg (3% DV), Total Carb. 0.6g (0% DV), Fiber 0.2g (1% DV), Sugars 0.1g, Protein 1.5g, Vitamin A (12% DV), Vitamin C (3%DV), Calcium (5% DV), Iron (2% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Pesto Chicken Wrap
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon pesto
2 slices (1 oz) mozzarella or provolone cheese
4 slices tomato
1/2 cup baby spinach or mixed greens
1 flour tortilla or sandwich wrap (any flavor)
1. To prepare chicken, grill or sauté until golden brown on both sides and the center reaches 165°F. The last
minute of cooking, brush both sides of chicken with pesto.
2. If serving chicken hot in wrap, slice immediately after cooking. If serving chicken cold in wrap, place chicken
on a plate and loosely cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. Slice before
3. To assemble wrap, place cheese slices down the center of the wrap. Place sliced chicken (hot or cold) on
top of cheese. Top with tomato slices and spinach or mixed greens. Fold bottom of wrap up about 1/3 and
then fold in both sides. Serve immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until served.
Yield: 1 serving
Nutrition Facts: Calories 483, Total Fat 16.7g (26% DV), Sat. Fat 6.6g (33% DV), Cholest. 92.6mg (31% DV), Sodium 798.3mg (33% DV), Total Carb. 40.8g (14% DV), Fiber 4.6g (18% DV), Sugars 3.0g, Protein 41.9g, Vitamin A (62% DV), Vitamin C (31%DV), Calcium (46% DV), Iron (29% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Garden Pasta Salad
1 ½ cups low fat plain Greek yogurt
½ cup low fat mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ½ teaspoons honey or sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup chopped chives
1 pound whole wheat pasta
¾ pint grape tomatoes, halved
2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and thinly
2 cups baby spinach
½ pound part-skim mozzarella cheese,
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
1. To make dressing, whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, honey, vinegar, pepper and chives in a small bowl.
Cover and chill.
2. Cook pasta according to package label directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
3. In a large bowl, toss dressing, pasta and remaining ingredients together until well combined. Cover and
refrigerate until served.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition Facts: Calories 254, Total Fat 10.5g (16% DV), Sat. Fat 3.6g (18% DV), Cholest. 21.9mg (7% DV), Sodium 339.7mg (14% DV), Total Carb. 26.3g (9% DV), Fiber 4.0g (16% DV), Sugars 5.9g, Protein 16.2g, Vitamin A (29% DV), Vitamin C (157%DV), Calcium (30% DV), Iron (10% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Easy Strawberry Pie
1 pie shell, baked and cooled
1 quart ripe strawberries
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1. Wash strawberries under cool running water. Remove stem and hull. Keep whole, cut in half or slice berries.
2. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and water and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened.
3. Stir gelatin into the sugar mixture until it dissolves. Let it cool slightly.
4. Arrange the strawberries in the bottom of the baked pie shell so that they are even.
5. Pour the gelatin mixture evenly over the strawberries.
6. Refrigerate the pie until it is chilled and the filling is firmly set.
7. Slice and garnish with whipped topping if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Note: different varieties of fruit and/or gelatin can be substituted if desired. For example, substitute
strawberries with peeled and sliced peaches and peach gelatin for an easy peach pie!
Nutrition Facts: Calories 290, Total Fat 8.2g (13% DV), Sat. Fat 2.0g (10% DV), Cholest. 0.0mg (0% DV), Sodium 176.2mg (7% DV), Total Carb. 53.1g (18% DV), Fiber 1.8g (7% DV), Sugars 37.9g, Protein 2.8g, Vitamin A (0% DV), Vitamin C (71%DV), Calcium (2% DV), Iron (6% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.