Black Bean Brownies
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
3 tablespoons canola oil
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place beans, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, and oil in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt; cover and process until smooth.
3. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Yield: 1 dozen
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 medium)
1/2 onion, thickly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
16 ounces uncooked pasta shells
2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk, divided
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place squash on a foil-lined baking sheet. Add onion, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, tossing to coat. Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from oven and increase heat to 450 degrees.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
4. Transfer squash and onions to a food processor or blender, add 1/2 cup milk, and puree until completely smooth and creamy.
5. Add butternut squash mixture to an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Stir in remaining milk , 1/2 teaspoon salt, cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Keep stirring until mixture is hot and cheese has melted. Add cooked pasta, mixing to coat
6. Sprinkle evenly with remaining Parmesan, Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Area Food Safety & Nutrition Agent
The Peggy Denny Show 17-013, Part 1 – Recipe 1002
The Peggy Denny Show 17-013, Part 2 – Recipe 1002